Town Team History
Crediton Town Team projects
The Crediton Town Team was previously the organising group behind the Crediton Festival, the bi-annual event which has grown bigger and more diverse and which promotes sports events, theatre, live music, food, writing competitions and dog shows.
In 2014 the group – made up of volunteers each with project management backgrounds – was approached by Mid Devon District Council to see whether they would extend their work to include community regeneration projects. They took on some more members, formed themselves into a legal group and the Town Team was born.
There are four High Street projects currently running which are being part-funded by Mid-Devon District Council:
- High Street Flags
- Town entrance signs competition
- Town square weather protection
- Helping to extend the reach of the annual Food and Drink Festival by buying four new all-weather stalls for the event , available for hire to other events and groups in the town.
The Constitution says:
6.1 Membership of the Crediton Town Team is open to any person with an interest in Crediton. The Executive Committee may invite people to become members or will consider applications from those wishing to join. New members need to be approved by a majority of the Executive Committee.
The current Executive Committee (which has a maximum membership of 10, exc. co-opted members) is:
- Martin Ashley, Treasurer – maintainer of the books and knowledge bank on council matters
- Kate Lock, Secretary/Vice-chair – creative events organiser and administrator in the health sector; project executive and chairman of New Community Hub project board
- Rosemary Stephenson, Chair – Crediton Arts Centre administrator, coordinator of the Crediton Flag Project and chairman of steering group and senior user on the new Community Hub project board
- Lucy Betts – owner of East Town Café, events organiser, creator of the Crediton History Trail
- Rod Brookes-Hocking – experienced arts/education project manager, theatre producer and all-round driving force for the growth of a creative Crediton
- Lorraine Harris – co-ordinator of Active Devon, Mid Devon and Crediton’s Active Mums Cycling Project
- Paul Tucker – co-opted member from Mid Devon Council, all-round fundraiser and social media driver
- Rachel Vowles – Director of CredFest 2017, actor, theatre director, events organiser and phenomenal knitter
- Jo Ward – actor, singer and electrician extraordinaire, provider of lights and sound for community events
Just click on the month to open/download a PDF of the minutes you are interested in:
The Town Team’s Vision Statement is:
To keep and develop Crediton as a thriving, sustainable town that fosters vibrant businesses and recreational, cultural and educational activities for present and future generations, where all people, whether from the local area or as visitors, can live together in peace, harmony and prosperity.